Water in a crawl space or basement can strike fear into the hearts of many homeowners. More than half of U.S. homes have this problem, according to the American Society of Home Inspectors. Most may not think about the need for crawl space or basement waterproofing. But, we can tell you if you notice dampness and a musty odor when you enter your crawl space or basement, you may have a serious issue.
No matter if your crawl space or basement is finished, you use it as just a storage room or never even peak into the space, it is important for the structural integrity of your home. Because of this importance it is critical to address a wet crawl space basement problems as soon as it’s discovered.
Through the years here at Crawl Pros we have addressed a multitude of crawl space and basement waterproofing instances. Here is some top advice we can offer when addressing crawl space and basement water issues:
- Never ignore a persistent musty smell.
- An average house roof can shed upwards of 2,000 gallons of water during a heavy downpour. Make sure gutters & downspouts are working effectively to move roof runoff well away from your foundation.
- Do you have the proper grade and slope away from your foundation? The soil around the home should always slope away from the foundation and a declining slope of six inches for every six feet away from the home.
- Repair plumbing leaks.
- When installing patios, porches, sidewalks or driveways, it is important to make sure the concrete or other material slopes away from the crawl space or basement.
- Seek professional advice before attempting to combat a groundwater swelling problem.
- Check with your local municipality for information about changes in the water table. Advice and a list of contractors are available through the National Association of Waterproofing Contractors at www.nawsrc.org.
Solutions to crawl space and basement waterproofing are plenty, but here are some basic steps you can take to try to solve the issue.
The first step is trying to figure out the type of problem you are encountering. Then, check the grading around your home, downspouts for any leaks or pooling, and cracks in the driveway. Fix all of the problems you encounter as well as patching cracks in the basement walls and floors, as water in the home can cause mold problems as well as a wet basement.
If you find these solutions do not fix your problem, it’s time then to consider your crawl space and basement waterproofing options. That’s where Crawl Pros, the experts in water mediation, can help.
Crawl Pros can offer several crawl space and basement waterproofing options. Our solutions depend on the cause of the problem and can range from encapsulation to using a sump pump, dehumidifier and perimeter drain system. Our sump pumps are designed to handle major water volume and we have battery backup systems available to keep your basement dry during a power outage.
Even just a few inches of water can cause thousands of dollars in damage to your home. A sump pump can help by reducing or eliminating the damage by diverting water away from your house when water levels rise.
Trenching is also usually done around the perimeter of the crawl space and throughout it. Then, corrugated drain pipe is placed into the trenched areas. We will then fill the trench with lava rock so dirt will not clog the sump pump.
Finally, Crawl Pros will install a proper vapor barrier or crawl space encapsulation and humidification equipment to help in preventing basement moisture.
A vapor barrier will also stop rodents from making a home there, help your house stay at a steady temperature and lower your electric bills. It will also improve air quality and help eliminate gases such as radon from leaking up from the crawl space.
Relying on Crawl Pros to fix the source of the problem preserves the value of the home.
Crawl Pros stands by its service and its performance shows. Here is just one recent review from a satisfied Crawl Pros customer:
Sally | December 17, 2017 | Online
The customer service from first contact by phone to the work crew, and to the very end when paying was excellent. They know how to treat their clients. The estimator, Michael, came out and meticulously examined the crawlspace and explained the issues. The project was scheduled for soonest available at 6 weeks out.
Turns out my sump pump gave out a few weeks from project start date, when we had a ton of rain, so there were several inches of water in the crawl space. I called Crawl Pros. They apologized that they couldn’t send out a crew because they were all booked. However, they said they would send someone out. That same day, Michael came back out and hooked up an emergency sump pump to drain the lake.
Come project day, the crew arrived when they said they would and finished the project in two days as promised. They did a great job, and they cleaned up well — couldn’t even tell they were there dragging out old insulation, moisture barriers, dirt. They sent final photos to show the work, and i also went into the crawl space to see the work after they left. They took care of the work as if it was for their own homes. You can tell they care when they neatly fold the homeowner’s tarp and neatly roll up the homeowner’s hose and tuck them near the side of the house. Crawl Pros, thanks for the customer care and peace of mind.
To note, they did not charge for the emergency sump pump. They really do take care of their clients.
Highly recommend Crawl Pros.
Once we have completed one of our crawl space and basement waterproofing options you experience several benefits with your space. Some of the many benefits of hiring Crawl Pros for crawl space waterproofing and reconditioning include:
- Odor reduction in the crawlspace as well as the entire home
- Many moisture issues within the home solved
- Increased storage space, 85% of buyers look for storage space when buying a new house
- Healthier air with less airborne mold
- Increased property value because your beautiful crawlspace will be a clean area for storage
- Eliminates black mold and moisture from within the crawlspace.
- Greatly improves indoor air quality within the crawlspace and throughout the entire home
- Reduces the number one source for entry of radon gas into the home
- Protects against allergens dust mites throughout the entire home
- Seals out most bugs, spiders, rodents and termites from the crawlspace
- Insulates the crawlspace and reduces energy costs. Many times crawl space repairs will pay for themselves within the first 12 months
- Protects the structure of the home from dry rot and termites
- No more crawl space musty smells from moisture and mold
As you can see, taking care of your crawl space leaves peace of mind and a healthier home. We are available to discuss your crawl space needs and invite you to call us at 866-673-9626. Our Estimators will provide a free estimate geared to solve your crawl space issues.